From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal: use only one hash function in manifest files
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 18:57:49
1 On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 11:47 AM Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Michal,
4 >
5 > On Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 02:49:12PM +0000, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > I don't really care which one we use, so long as it's not already
7 > > > broken or too obscure/new. So in other words, any one of SHA2-256,
8 > > > SHA2-512, SHA3, BLAKE2b, BLAKE2s would be fine with me. Can we just
9 > > > pick one and roll with it?
10 > >
11 > > Back when we added BLAKE2b, the idea was to eventually remove SHA512
12 > > (the previous hash). However, this was rejected afterwards.
13 >
14 > Maybe we should pick that back up? Do you remember the ultimate
15 > rationale for rejecting it? Do you suppose those are still valid?
16
17 (Somehow you broke threading)
18
19 This was a topic in June 2021's Council meeting:
20
21 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/sites/projects/council.git/tree/meeting-logs/20210613-summary.txt#n33
22 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/sites/projects/council.git/tree/meeting-logs/20210613.txt#n137
23
24 Basically there was no great reason presented for making the change
25 and some (IMO specious) reasons for keeping multiple hashes. I don't
26 think anyone felt strongly enough about removing one hash to fight for
27 it.