From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/freetype: freetype-2.4.11-r1.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:20:55
1 El mié, 27-02-2013 a las 18:10 +0100, hasufell escribió:
2 > I don't want to start another useless rant here, because I perfectly
3 > understand the issue with ABI specific headers.
4 >
5 > The problem is:
6 > a) if you break a provider on purpose, then you should feel
7 > somehow responsible for the consumers and not just dump testing and
8 > fixing on your fellow devs
9 > b) just test such things in an overlay first and see it explode, then
10 > think about it again and ask on dev-ML if other people find it even
11 > WORTH the hassle
14 > The other thing is:
15 > We still have the conflict with eclass-solution vs PM-solution
16 > (multilib-portage) and I propose not to convert ANYTHING else until that
17 > conflict is solved, even if it means a council vote (that's what I
18 > actually think makes sense here).
19 > I understand both sides and somehow find it appealing to have a quicker
20 > solution, but since this could damage years of work on a portage fork I
21 > think we should slow down here.
25 Personally I don't think mgorny "broke a provider on purpose", he should
26 have released it hardmasked, but thinking he wanted to break testing on
27 purpose looks excessive to me. Also, most of that committed stuff was
28 tested for some time in x11 overlay, no? (not sure if probably freetype
29 was missed by some error, but clearly the transition to the eclasses
30 providing native multilib were tested "on purpose" in that overlay
31 before moving to the tree).
32
33 About PM-solution... I can't remember how many years we are waiting it
34 for being approved, and neither remember what was blocking it for
35 inclusion in eapi5 (as that threads usually end up being fairly long and
36 ending with blockers like PMS documentation changes and so :( )
37
38 I also remember this "conflict" between portage-multilib and eclasses
39 ways were discussed some weeks ago here (I thought specially between
40 mgorny and... aballier?)