From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:26:50
On 17-06-2010 12:17, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:08:05 +0200 > Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o> wrote:
I had some text written here. Why did you just remove it like this? Next time, please write some kind of marker "(...)" to tell you did crop some text.
>> That choice can be to join the Gentoo community, or leave it. > > The choice can be to use Gentoo, or not use Gentoo. > > If using Gentoo means being required to use bugzilla, the mailing > lists, forums and IRC, then Gentoo has huge scalability problems.
I believe using Gentoo means reading the handbook, read forums, bugs and learn from them.. That's what I felt when I read the Gentoo philosophy for the first time.
> Providing one on one support takes an awful lot of manpower; the goal > should be to improve the distribution so that most people don't > encounter many bugs and can get all the support they need from the > documentation.
Are we trying to make Gentoo some kind of ubuntu?
> > Thus things like GLEP 42 news items: they're a way of avoiding having > thousands of users running to get support because they don't know what > to do when a large change happens. If you think the community's the > important part, you'd do the opposite: you'd not provide upfront > instructions, and would instead see big changes as an opportunity to > persuade more users to participate in the community by trying to help > each other. >
- Angelo, PS: I'm exceeding my email bulk-reply quotas for today. I don't want to flood the mailing list so I'll step back and leave other people express their opinion.