From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:26:50
1 On 17-06-2010 12:17, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:08:05 +0200
3 > Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o> wrote:
4
5 I had some text written here. Why did you just remove it like this? Next
6 time, please write some kind of marker "(...)" to tell you did crop some
7 text.
8
9 >> That choice can be to join the Gentoo community, or leave it.
10 >
11 > The choice can be to use Gentoo, or not use Gentoo.
12 >
13 > If using Gentoo means being required to use bugzilla, the mailing
14 > lists, forums and IRC, then Gentoo has huge scalability problems.
15
16 I believe using Gentoo means reading the handbook, read forums, bugs and
17 learn from them.. That's what I felt when I read the Gentoo philosophy
18 for the first time.
19
20 > Providing one on one support takes an awful lot of manpower; the goal
21 > should be to improve the distribution so that most people don't
22 > encounter many bugs and can get all the support they need from the
23 > documentation.
24
25 Are we trying to make Gentoo some kind of ubuntu?
26 >
27 > Thus things like GLEP 42 news items: they're a way of avoiding having
28 > thousands of users running to get support because they don't know what
29 > to do when a large change happens. If you think the community's the
30 > important part, you'd do the opposite: you'd not provide upfront
31 > instructions, and would instead see big changes as an opportunity to
32 > persuade more users to participate in the community by trying to help
33 > each other.
36 - Angelo,
37
38 PS: I'm exceeding my email bulk-reply quotas for today. I don't want to
39 flood the mailing list so I'll step back and leave other people express
40 their opinion.