From: Anton Starikov <antst@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ifc USE flag, fortran support and some general notes about multi-compiler support
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:07:22
1 Hi!
2
3 Recently there was added "ifc" flag to support Intel Fortran Compiler.
4 And few ebuilds already take it into account. But...
5
6 1) Mainly it corresponds to some scientific libraries and programs. And
7 I guess that not 99% of such users use ifc. What about ones who use
8 Absoft, Lahey Fujitsu, Portland Group and so on? I guess IFC didn't take
9 99% of market yet. Because other companies still alive. :) Moreover,
10 AFAIK a lot of people prefer different compilers because IFC still has
11 some compatibility problems with complicated codes. Which can be
12 compiled without problems with Absoft or Lahey, for example.
13
14 2) Optimization flags. I've take a short look at some ebuilds which use
15 IFC and ICC flags. Mostly they have hard-encoded into ebuilds
16 optimization flags. Which also doesn't seems to be really brilliant
17 idea. Of course, some of them check IFCFLAGS and ICCFLAGS environment
18 variables...but it is not common, and it is less portable from pint of
19 view of different compilers.
20
21 OK, partly you can solve such problems with setting some environment
22 variables, like F77 and so on. But...it not looks like a really gentoo
23 solution, it is not really reliable solution (for example blas-atlas
24 will just ignore it, AFIR) and so on.
25
26 So, probably there is some need to make some kind of redesign of the
27 idea. OK, for C and C++ it is not so important probably, because there
28 is not such big choice and anyway mostly you would prefer GCC, and if
29 you want, support for icc and tiny-cc here already.
30
31 Situation with Fortran just looks a bit more complicated. And different
32 from C world.
33
34 So, has it sense to think about implementing some abstract
35 multi-compiler support? at least for Fortran guys.
36 But generally, probably, it could be just let say "minor compiler
37 support", which means, for C and F you still have gcc and g77 (gfortran
38 in future) as a main compiler of the system, but you can also choose
39 some kind of minor compiler. Now it almost work in such way with ICC.
40 ICC behaves just as some kind of minor compiler and some software that
41 can be compiled with ICC will be compiled with icc.
42
43 This idea "of minor compiler support" could be also interesting for
44 different applications. For example, hypothetic situation: I have SPARC
45 with Solaris. I'm not going to completely change my OS, but, probably, I
46 would like to take advantages of gentoo portage also. And probably I
47 would like to choose second compiler (SUN compiler of course), which
48 will be used for compilation of some stuff that can be compiled with it.
49 And, if software use automake and autoconf, it probably will be compiled
50 without real troubles.
51
52 It basically looks very interesting and not such hypothetic, because
53 anyway nowadays you fill your Solaris box (or Irix box) with incredible
54 amount of GNU stuff, if you want to have some comfort :) And, I guess,
55 portage can be really, easy adopted to that. OK, it couldn't be in
56 mainstream. But...if, let say, you have 300 Solaris clients and ppl
57 whant to use a really a LOT of different stuff, either you compile
58 program by program by yourself and put in on a servers into shared /usr
59 folder (or whatevere else), or you just force portage think that you
60 have gentoo and portage do you job for you and just go and drink coffe
61 :) Thats real example.
64 Of course, there is two ways to implement this.
65 One - it's just to add more and more USE flags for different compilers.
66 it is some kind of clean way with granted result, if you ebuild support
67 this compiler which you have in USE flags...but...
68 I guess, at least in case of Fortran. ebuild that can be compiled with
69 ANY Fortran compiler wail NEVER check for all these flags, because for
70 such behavior ebuild should be tested with ALL these compilers, reported
71 that it works and submitted a patch for ebuild for particular compiler.
72 That practically probably never will be happen :)
73
74 But almost for sure a lot of software will be compiled without any
75 problems with most of major Fortran compiler. And even with almost any
76 widely spread C compilers. Especially if it case of scientific software.
77 I really can't imaging situation, when MPICH will not compile itself and
78 will not compile F90 interface with any non-exotic compiler. I've just
79 never meet such situation. :)
80
81 One more thing. Lets imaging that next month on market will be available
82 one more C++ or Fortran compiler, which really excellent :) Most of
83 software can be build with it...but... it will take long time to add
84 more flag to USE, change all ebuilds with it and so on.
85
86 So, there is coming in mind some idea of different approach. Transparent
87 level of multicompiler support. OK, it is not granted.
88 But...scientific guys use to live in not granted world :)
89 It probably looks like:
90 1) You have two more flags: "altcc" and "altfc"
91 2) somewhere (in make.conf for ex) you have specify :
92 ALTCC=C-compiler-which-I-really-like
93 ALTCXX=C++-compiler-which-I-really-like
94 ALTF77=F77-compiler-which-I-really-like
95 ALTF90=F90-compiler-which-I-really-like
96 ALTCFLAGS="optimize-it-to-make-a-rocket"
97 ALTF77LAGS="optimize-it-to-make-a-rocket"
98
99 and thats all.
100 Ebuild just check for "altcc" and "altfc" flags in USE, if they are, it
101 force configure or whatever else to use it. Thats done. Of course you
102 can't be sure that it will be compiled on all possible alternative
103 compilers, but you can try :)
104
105 And it make your life really flexible. You do can what you want. Thats
106 Gentoo philosophy, I guess :)
107
108 It just a general talk, don't kick me if I'm wrong :)
109
110 Anton Starikov
113 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list