From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Features and documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 05:41:49
1 On 05:04 Thu 29 Nov , Duncan wrote:
2 > Leave it to ciarnm to be so direct, amusing tho it is, but that pretty
3 > much nails it. I've seen it said by some that Gentoo's no longer "fun".
4 > I disagree but honestly, ask yourself if there's a better way to ruin the
5 > fun remaining than by instituting policies so nebulous they simply /beg/
6 > for argument over their application. The idea sounds so nice, something
7 > everybody should be able to agree to in principle, but that's precisely
8 > the problem, there's no specifics, so no practical way to tell where or
9 > how it applies, or what changes (if any) it would bring. Pardon my
10 > saying so but at least in the US, it's the season of politics, and we're
11 > seeing a lot of this vague "big stroke" pie in the sky painting right
12 > now. Unlike most of those, there's a chance with this one to get it
13 > nailed down to the point it's actually practical.
14
15 In fact, I believe exactly the opposite. What we want to create are
16 basic philosophies to guide us. Nailing down a million tiny details is
17 what makes things not fun, and what makes them impossible to learn.
18 We're not trying to write a specification here, we're trying to come up
19 with a set of guidelines that people could actually learn and remember.
20
21 Thanks,
22 Donnie
23 --