From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-free software in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 04:53:26
1 On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 09:42:06PM -0500, Vincent Launchbury wrote:
2 > Greg KH wrote:
3 > > The fact that some people claim that the firmware blobs somehow violate
4 > > the GPLv2 license of the kernel is a claim, not a fact, so please do not
5 > > state it as such.
6 >
7 > Hi Greg,
8 >
9 > Thanks for your reply.
10 >
11 > I think you misunderstood my point though. I wasn't saying that the
12 > firmware violates the GPL, I have no idea whether it does or not. I was
13 > saying that some of the firmware is non-free software, and therefore the
14 > license should include more than just GPL-2. This especially effects
15 > people using ACCEPT_LICENSE to maintain a free system.
16
17 Heh, no, it does not, unless your BIOS, and your keyboard firmware, and
18 your mouse firmware are all under a "free" license. The only thing
19 close to this type of machine is the OLPC, and even then, I don't think
20 all the microcode for the box was ever released.
21
22 So it's a pointless effort.
23
24 Hint, these firmware blobs do not run on your processor, so they have
25 nothing to do with the license of your "system".
26
27 > > Also note that the majority of these firmware blobs are now removed
28 > > from the kernel, and are in a separate patckage, so this might be
29 > > totally irrelevant at this point in time.
30 >
31 > This may be true, but the packages in the main tree still contain
32 > non-free firmware. If this is fixed in a later release, then GPL-2 would
33 > be fine for those.
34
35 Again, no, the GPLv2 covers the license of all of the code you run in
36 the kernel package.
37
38 > > So please don't state that the Linux kernel is not properly listed as
39 > > the GPLv2, because it is.
40 >
41 > In linux-2.6.31 for example, here are some excerpts from
42 > firmware/WHENCE:
43 >
44 > Regarding the keyspan USB driver:
45 > This firmware may not be modified and may only be used with
46 > Keyspan hardware.
47 >
48 > and the emi26 driver:
49 > This firmware may not be modified and may only be used with the
50 > Emagic EMI 2|6 Audio Interface.
51
52 And again, you do not run those firmware images on your processor, so
53 the point is moot.
54
55 And note, _I_ placed those images in the kernel image, after consulting
56 lawyers about this issue, so it's not like I don't know what I am
57 talking about here.
58
59 > I'm not sure if this git repo is part of a separate package or not, but
60 > it seems the same terms are present:
61 > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=blob;f=WHENCE;h=83d245bee1ec44cbd5c0e1a53a3989c57f675c91;hb=f20b0674534a444ae74239843cac19f72c64912b
62 >
63 > Which is why I think the license should be amended. If I'm mistaken,
64 > please do correct me, but based on my above notes, I believe it should
65 > be updated.
66
67 Please see above why this is all just fine.
68
69 thanks,
70
71 greg k-h