From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: 'John Davis' <zhen@g.o>, gentoo-core@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:20:10
1 John,
2
3 > By creating this document, I hope to help fix the problems
4 > that I see with Gentoo Linux.
5
6 Mmm ... the problems I see with Gentoo Linux seem to be a little different:
7
8 a) ebuilds marked stable w/ no robust QA procedures
9 b) unmaintained ebuilds
10 c) too many packages that Gentoo has no ebuilds for (yet ;-)
11 d) bugs not addressed quickly enough
12
13 Basically, I want STABLE to *mean* STABLE, I want ebuilds for new releases
14 on the day the releases come out, and I want to be able to install all the
15 applications that I want to use. I'm a consumer in that respect, and my
16 concerns are anything that makes my consumer experience worse. And that
17 includes death-by-committee(TM).
18
19 I don't see how any of your proposals are going to improve that situation.
20
21 1). Constitution
22
23 If people don't understand the spirit behind such rules, then the rules
24 themselves are no protection. You'll get people nit-picking over the
25 written word, rather than over the intention behind those words. This
26 happens everywhere, and is (unfortunately) human nature. Something like the
27 Social Contract is much better, because it tries to capture the spirit that
28 is Gentoo.
29
30 I've actually made this mistake with an organisation once, and as you can
31 probably tell, I regret it quite deeply ;-)
32
33 2). Open Voting
34
35 This one's a close call for me. There is a real danger in all groups of
36 them becoming inward-looking - a clique. And when that happens, things tend
37 to go downhill very quickly. Having anyone able to stand for a position,
38 and publically be judged for the role, might be able to offset that.
39
40 Problem is - that's exactly how useless good-for-nothing can't-code-for-shit
41 f**kers end up way over their heads in positions of authority. They can't
42 do the technical job themselves, so they decide to tell others how it should
43 be done. Politics is the passion of the parasite.
44
45 The Linux kernel thrives precisely because it's led by technically-competent
46 people. Linus, Andrew, Alan et al are engineers first and foremost. Right
47 now, the 'senior' people I've delt with in Gentoo appear to be of a similar
48 mould. They've already survived the first hurdle - the threat of a fork -
49 and rather than circle the wagons, they've responded proactively and
50 positively to the *perception* that others have about Gentoo. I'm
51 personally encouraged by what I've seen, and have more confidence in Gentoo
52 than I did two months ago.
53
54 3). Defined Terms For Managers
55
56 Preserve the balance of *power*? If all this is about *power*, then I think
57 it's coming from completely the wrong direction. The pursuit of power of
58 some, and the fear of giving up power by others, is the politics of the
59 insecure and the paranoid. One lot believe the only way to survive is to
60 live off of the efforts of others, and the other lot live in fear of the
61 first lot because they know that they're too easy to push around. Very
62 unhealthy ;-)
63
64 Why not do something more useful, and capture their *responsibilities*
65 instead? The function of management should be to ensure that key
66 *responsibilities* are met; and Gentoo should be no exception. This
67 healthier mindset would support the draft QA proposals that are kicking
68 around. Never give power to anyone - just give them more work ;-) And if
69 they don't meet their responsibilities, well - think of it as turkeys voting
70 for Christmas.
71
72 4). Meeting Procedure
73
74 I haven't been to any Gentoo meetings, so I can't comment on this.
78 I just want to add my small voice to those calling for Gentoo to remain true
79 to its original nature. It's light, it's fast, and it's fun. And it
80 results in a distro that is fresh, exciting, and constantly improving.
81 Debian, RedHat, Mandrake, <insert distro here> - none of these were
82 original. They all arose from people who became unhappy with earlier
83 distributions - SLS, Slackware, Ygdrassil(sp?) and so on. At first, they
84 were all different too. But either politics, or money (or both) have
85 changed them, and not for the better.
86
87 As organisations increase in size, some structure is inevitable. But it
88 seems the public debate is all about who gets into that structure and who
89 gets left out, rather than being about identifying clear goals for Gentoo
90 and then putting in a structure to meet those goals. If the goals aren't
91 clear, then the structure becomes self-serving.
92
93 So I'm calling for the debate to shift away from politics, and onto
94 practicalities. Where are the *procedural* problems with Gentoo? What can
95 be done to get more ebuilds into portage, make it easier to keep ebuilds up
96 to date with current releases, and all whilst improving the quality of the
97 (dare I say it) 'customer experience'? Damnit - *these* are the things that
98 should matter.
99
100 Best regards,
101 Stu