From: Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] A constructive reommendation on stablity improvemt
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 16:18:54
1 Hi all,
2
3 Hereby the summary of my personal suggestions to increase GENTOO stability and help it's maintainers
4 and developers.
5
6 1. make.conf
7
8 Add
9
10 BUG_REPORT_URL "http://"(or similar name)
11 BUG_REPORT ON/OFF
12 BUG_REPORT_LEVEL
13
14 to make.conf
15
16 (several URLs should be supported for several sever-side contributors versions)
17
18 by default reporting is turned off.
19
20 2. USE flag
21
22 use some flag like curl for emerge to disable bug reporting functionality for those
23 who are not trusting, afraid of leaks or who is not willing to participate.
24
25 3. Python URL reporting class
26 Add HTTP based bug reporting mechanics to emerge WITHOUT implementing
27 server-side mechanics.
28
29 4. Carefully document bug reporting mechanics.
30
31 5. Wait for server-side implementations to appear. They will appear once
32 emerge can report. And once it's clear for the rest that there is seriously
33 going to be a change soon.
34
35 I do honestly believe it should be started by portage team, not by any one else.
36 They're the key. Reporting callbacks are not difficult and not time consuming.
37 But only the emerge team has the experience to start it right. They have to get
38 into this idea themselves, approving it by introducing the interface.
39
40 In my point of view - it's fair.
41
42 Expecting:
43
44 Once interface is there several teams would develop sever side platform. I know there
45 are people out there who will present their own versions.
46 The platforms would be tested with existing emerge reporting interface and emerge reporting
47 interface will evolve with time.
48
49 With time the best server platform will be adopted by http://bugreport.gentoo.org (or
50 something like that).
53 When this stage is over:
54
55 The new tools will be developed, like developer e-mail notifications, automated bug reporting,
56 difficult to imagine that far.
57
58 GENTOO would get over portage hell and a new sub-system addressing GETNOO functional
59 stabilization are developed.
60
61 I expect we all get many new users for GENTOO,
62
63 Common guys GENTOO has a lot of potential, problems are fixable once you know more about
64 them, GENTOO just needs a little love, some statistics based stabilizations tools,
65 a compass for developers, a lot of experienced developers here - they will use gathered data
66 to make changes nobody even can think about now. Turn your friendly face to the users -
67 they're afraid of gentoo only because it's difficult to assemble packages, if this
68 shortcoming is fixed - it might be the best linux distro on the planet. All it requires
69 is a small reporting class in portage from an experienced portage developer. 1000 lines
70 of code max and there is a new future for everyone.
74 Best regards,
75 Igor mailto:lanthruster@×××××.com