From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: dberkholz@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding a tiny install-mask directory list to gx86
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:33:52
1 On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:39:48 -0500
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 11:36 Fri 16 Sep     , Michał Górny wrote:
6 >> > The question is: where to store such a directory list?
7 >> >
8 >> > Keeping it inside project sources doesn't seem right as it would
9 >> > require me to bump and re-release project every time a directory is
10 >> > added. Keeping it in separate package which would need to be kept
11 >> > in sync doesn't seem too good either.
12 >> >
13 >> > That's why I'm considering including a tiny file in gx86 (and
14 >> > possibly other repositories) itself. Such a file could have a
15 >> > simple format and specify mappings of 'install-mask names' (similar
16 >> > to USE flag names) to lists of directories and possibly
17 >> > descriptions.
18 >>
19 >> Do something like layman or repoman where it auto-fetches
20 >> periodically. Layman has the advantage of also supporting add-on
21 >> files in addition to the main one.
22 >
23 > I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Layman operations usually involve
24 > network I/O, mine will not. I don't really want users to pay for GPRS
25 > because install-mask does auto-update check.
26
27 So offer a 'install-mask update' command. Drop a cronjob in
28 cron.weekly that does the update and GRPS users can just delete /
29 modify the job.
30
31 -A
34 >> I don't want this in my repo.
35 >
36 > By *your* repo you mean dev overlay? Noone forces you to declare
37 > additional paths.
38 >
39 > --
40 > Best regards,