From: "Michał Górny" <gentoo@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage, kernel sources and setgid
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:11:12
1 Hello,
2
3 I am using umask 027 on my Gentoo boxes, and setgid bit set on a few
4 directories crucial to userpriv-enabled merges. This way, I do not have
5 to worry about running e.g. layman through 'sg' or similar tools, as
6 all newly-created files inherit portage group ownership, and
7 newly-created directories inherit the setgid bit.
8
9 I would like to be able to use similar solution for compiled kernel
10 sources, i.e. through setting the setgid bit on /usr/src. But in fact
11 it is impossible as portage forces setting it's own permissions on all
12 installed files, thus newly-installed kernel sources do not inherit the
13 parent group ownership nor the setgid bit.
14
15 Now the question is: should such behaviour be considered really correct
16 and necessary? In my opinion, if user sets setuid/setgid on a parent
17 directory, shklee knows what shklee is doing and emerge should not
18 override this system-specific ownership inheritance.
21 Best regards,
22 Michał Górny
23
24 <http://mgorny.alt.pl>