From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 17:06:45
1 In defense of my confusion, certainly appears from the perspective of
2 the gentoo-dev ml that you are leading at the very least the
3 day-to-day management of the project.
4
5 But if I am wrong, I *sincerely* apologize. Let me see if I have all
6 the facts right.
7
8 Summary Of PMS:
9
10 PMS is a project that is not an offical Gentoo project, but is
11 controlled by a Gentoo developer (spb), is hosted on external
12 infrastructure, does not have a Gentoo Foundation copyright. The
13 council may try to impose a deadline on PMS but it is a non-Gentoo
14 project and thus out of its scope of influence in all areas besides
15 areas of mutual coordination.
16 Significant contributions to PMS are coming from Ciaran, someone who
17 has been explicitly banned from Gentoo development, but this is OK as
18 it is not a Gentoo project. The specification is designed to document
19 that functionality that ebuilds can rely on. Paludis, a non-Gentoo
20 project lead by Ciaran, will likely be the first conformant
21 implementation, after which the process will begin to get it adopted
22 as official policy for Gentoo ebuilds, via the Council and QA. As
23 such, it will likely have long-term impact on the way that Gentoo
24 writes ebuilds.
25
26 I *think* I have all that right? OK, I will accept this.
27
28 If that's the case, I'm suggesting the following "tweak" to the plans.
29
30 a) move PMS discussion off this list
31
32 Rationale: it's not an official Gentoo project. It doesn't get any
33 simpler than that.
34 Interested Gentoo devs can subscribe to a PMS list hosted on
35 non-Gentoo infrastructure.
36 It's also not worth keeping PMS on this list for a number of reasons,
37 and confuses people (me included) as to whether it is an official
38 Gentoo project.
39
40 b) You (Ciaran) should unsubscribe from this list.
41
42 Rationale: You (Ciaran) have already been explicitly banned from
43 Gentoo development yet are acting as the project's official spokesman
44 on this list which is clearly a Gentoo development list. I am asking
45 that you have a basic respect for your removal from Gentoo, despite
46 your personal feelings, which to me means that you are not "involved"
47 as a developer on a day-to-day basis and not working directly with
48 other Gentoo developers - except those that might want or need to work
49 with you on non-Gentoo projects (who can then freely interact with you
50 on non-Gentoo lists.)
51
52 This should not impede your work or that of PMS, as interested parties
53 can just subscribe to those non-Gentoo lists. In fact I expect this
54 will help to accelerate PMS development dramatically.
55
56 >From the perspective of Gentoo developers, it should also reduce
57 flames and hard feelings on this list, and allow Gentoo devs to have a
58 Gentoo-esque environment for Gentoo projects that is fully governed by
59 devrel and that Gentoo developers can be comfortable in.
60
61 Ciaran, everyone: My overarching goal is that *boundaries are
62 respected*, whatever they might be (in this case they were damn
63 confusing to figure out.) They exist for a reason, and whether or not
64 you agree with them they should be respected. I apologize to anyone I
65 might have offended in my effort to figure these out. Really. Sorry.
66
67 That being said, I think my suggestions make *TOTAL SENSE* for both. I
68 hope that even those people who got irritated with me understand where
69 I was coming from and will seriously consider my suggestions in this
70 email.
71
72 Let's take some quick and decisive action to get Gentoo and PMS going
73 in the right direction again, please.
74
75 *That* is what I have been trying to do, with the priority placed on
76 getting Gentoo going in the right direction.
77
78 -Daniel
79