From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's going on with the tmpfiles eclasses?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 21:40:58
1 On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 5:03 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > We have two eclasses with almost-identical functions for handling
4 > tmpfiles.d entries:
5 >
6 > 1. systemd.eclass
7 >
8 > a. systemd_dotmpfilesd
9 > b. systemd_newtmpfilesd
10 > c. systemd_tmpfiles_create
11 >
12 > 2. tmpfiles.eclass
13 >
14 > a. dotmpfiles
15 > b. newtmpfiles
16 > c. tmpfiles_process
17 >
18 > The do/new functions are basically identical, while the create/process
19 > functions differ only in the fact that the one from tmpfiles.eclass
20 > supports opentmpfiles as well. Why do we have both? Couldn't the
21 > systemd.eclass ones be implemented in terms of the tmpfiles.eclass ones,
22 > and then deprecated (in favor of tmpfiles.eclass itself) in newer EAPIs?
23 >
24 > Or am I missing something?
25
26 Nope, seems like you have a pretty good handle on it. Just nobody has
27 gotten around to doing the work to deprecate the functions in
28 systemd.eclass.