From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 17:16:48
1 On 07/24/12 09:21, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 >
3 > Given that this just affects new installs, is a news item (via
4 > portage) a particularly good way to inform everyone? I was wondering
5 > if it'd make more sense to notify on the website and *definitely*
6 > change the Handbook...
7 >
8 > ..and maybe include an '/etc/make.conf.moved' in the stage files for
9 > the next 6 months which says the above?
10
11 I think a news item is reasonable here (in addition to the above). Most
12 users don't know about the move from /etc/make.conf to
13 /etc/portage/make.conf. After this change, there will be a
14 gradually-increasing need to know that a switch took place.
15
16 1) To a first approximation, nobody reads the documentation.
17
18 2) /etc/portage/make.conf overrides the traditional location. If you
19 have both, it will lead to subtle problems. After this change, new
20 users won't even know that /etc/make.conf used to exist, so there's
21 a possibility of two admins stepping on each others' feet.
22
23 3) When providing help on forums and mailing lists, existing users
24 will need to know that the location was switched.
25
26 4) There are problems I haven't thought of. Better safe than sorry.