From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bzipped manpages
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 08:07:15
1 On 16-01-2017 22:13:39 -0800, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 01/10/2017 05:16 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > On 09-01-2017 09:08:22 +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
4 > >> The particular problem I am having is that http://mdocml.bsd.lv/ ,
5 > >> my manpage formatter of choice, does deliberately not support bzip
6 > >> (or any other outside decompressors for that matter).
7 > >
8 > > Attached patch works for me. XZ should be a similar exercise, a little
9 > > cleanup would be nice then though.
10 > >
11 > This is awesome; has upstream been sent this yet, by any chance?
12
13 Nope, given the initial quoted email from the main developer, I gave it
14 zero chance of success, and not worth the bother. AFAICT I posted the
15 patch to the public domain, so anyone can take it and use it as they see
16 fit.
17
18 Also, if Gentoo would ship this package, it probably should have this
19 patch since it would enable the package to work with our default
20 settings. However, we don't ship this package. I made a preliminary
21 ebuild, but ran into some issues, e.g. it cannot replace `/usr/bin/man`
22 because that would break lesspipe.sh's ability to view manpages.
23 Concluding that (for me) the manpages didn't render any faster, or
24 better -- I'd say even worse since I got no colours -- I decided to
25 leave the package as is, because of no gain.
26
27 Fabian
31 Fabian Groffen
32 Gentoo on a different level