From: Phil Richards <news@××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4 final against rc's
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:06:17
1 In article <20030815095406.GA17581%chutz@×××.net>, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > On 15/08/2003 at 11:44:21(+0200), Camille Huot used 1.0K just to say:
3 > > we can just rename "release" to something like "snapshot" to show that this
4 > > only is Gentoo at a certain time. ie: "gentoo snap-20030801"
5 > I associate the word "snapshots" with something incomplete. That's because the
6 > word is mostly used by projects that offer cvs snapshots. I agree that it is
7 > the most correct name, even though it may not be the most descriptive one.
8
9 How about "milestone"? It doesn't abbreviate very well, though:
10 "gentoo mile-1.4" or "gentoo stone-1.4" or (perish the thought)
11 "gentoo MS-1.4" :-)
12
13 One thing I would note, however, is that reinstalling gentoo from
14 scratch is a good way to uninstall all those packages that used
15 to be needed but aren't anymore (old package dependencies) and it
16 also makes sure that you are using the latest version of the
17 ebuilds.
18
19 As a ~x86 person, I find that most of the ebuilds used to install a
20 package are (sometimes non-trivially) different from the "latest" ones
21 under /usr/portage. (And, no, I'm not talking about different ebuild
22 versions - I'm talking about the ebuilds with exactly the same names.)
23
24 phil
25 --
26 change "spams" to "phil" for email