From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: dev-util/wxglade/files/, dev-util/wxglade/
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:50:24
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 20.02.2017 kell 13:50, kirjutas Mike Gilbert:
2 > On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > > Ühel kenal päeval, L, 18.02.2017 kell 19:47, kirjutas Michał Górny:
5 > > > commit:     7207a292b2591dde5cbd336470bed3c11617a8e1
6 > > > Commit:     Michał Górny <mgorny <AT> gentoo <DOT> org>
7 > > > CommitDate: Sat Feb 18 19:47:25 2017 +0000
8 > > > URL:        https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=
9 > > > 7207
10 > > > a292
11 > > >
12 > > > dev-util/wxglade: python-single-r1, EAPI=6
13 > >
14 > > While I appreciate work done to do this conversion finally, what
15 > > was
16 > > the reason to bypass the maintainers after being explicitly told on
17 > > IRC
18 > > to not do so?
19 > > Since when have we entered a free-for-all state of maintenance in
20 > > Gentoo?
21 > > I would like to know the state of affairs, so I know for future
22 > > reference what can I expect and what I can do to packages that I do
23 > > not
24 > > explicitly maintain either.
25 > >
26 > > And yes, I am aware there was a pending bump request for a couple
27 > > years. I'm still dealing with backlog after getting back to tree
28 > > maintenance.
29 > >
30 > > Mart Raudsepp,
31 > > thoroughly confused about current maintenance policies
34 > At some point, if the maintainer isn't doing his job, he gets
35 > bypassed. Especially when dealing with a conversion like
36 > python.eclass
37 > where few people know or care how it works. If we waited for
38 > individual maintainers it will never get done.
39 >
40 > Unless you have some reason to slow him down, please get out of his
41 > way and let him work.
42
43 I am talking about the general attitude and approach as well.
44
45 But if we want to be stuck in this concrete case then the tracker bug
46 for eclass removal and conversion was filed less than 3 hours prior to
47 maintainer bypassing commit. The blocker to wxglade was marked also
48 less than 3 hours prior to maintainer bypassing commit, and the commit
49 was pushed at the same time as talking about how this and that thing is
50 crap and other demotivational speech with the actual maintainer around
51 and active, saying to contribute a patch to review and push in together
52 with other changes (like that version bump).
53 This is very demotivational, and in fact I ended up doing no gentoo
54 work afterwards over the weekend, primarily because of all this nasty
55 experience.
56
57 Have respect towards others and their wishes and their maintenance and
58 don't run over other people and maintainers. Do not run over
59 maintainers after a 3 hour period of bug filing (or rather marking a
60 wrong bug as a blocker to the eclass removal, receiving instant replies
61 to that, so clearly an "inactive" maintainer, and then still ignoring
62 everything and committing and pushing regardless). You are not special.
65 Mart