From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] wireless card support in /etc/conf.d/net and /etc/init.d/net.*
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:15:28
1 With as many people as have laptops and wireless cards now, why isn't there built-in
2 support for wireless cards in /etc/conf.d/net and /etc/init.d/net.*? I've seen a few good
3 ones out on the forums, but it's very difficult for people to browse the forums when they
4 don't have their network connection working ;)
5
6 I got lucky. The driver for my Atheros-based card (madwifi) automatically scans for an AP
7 and connects to it. All I had to do is copy /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to /etc/init.d/net.ath0
8 and run 'rc-update add net.ath0 default'.
9
10 I want to enabled WEP on my WLAN. So, I now have to start hacking my net init scripts.
11 That's just fine for me, but a lot of users will give you a blank look if you try to
12 explain it to them.
15 Andrew Gaffney
16 Network Administrator
17 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.