From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: phil@×××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:47:41
1 On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 13:35, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 05:25, John Nilsson wrote:
3 > > I think you are wrong. ;) I think it *can* be argued sensibly. For these
4 > > reasons.
5 > >
6 > > 1. Virtually all operating systems today ships with some GUI.
7 >
8 > ...and XFree86 4.3.x does not fit this bill?
9
10 ?
11
12 > > 2. GNU (as in Gnu Public License) seems to regard the X Windows System
13 > > as a core system component.
14 >
15 > X Windows System != XFree86
16
17 It is an implementation. You've got have an implementation in order to
18 link against it, no?
19
20 > > All you *need* for a linux based operating system is linux and a static
21 > > binary called /sbin/init. Clearly the "Base system" referred to in GPL
22 > > extends to more than that.
23 >
24 > Actually, you don't need init to get "Linux" at all. Following the same
25 > path, you need nothing more than a kernel to have "Linux" at all. Now,
26 > to have an actual working system, you generally need the kernel, an init
27 > system, a few libraries (like glibc, uclib, etc) and a shell.
28
29 Actually my initial statement was correct. If you do not modify the
30 linux source all you need to have a RUNNING system is a staticly linked
31 binary named /sbin/init. If the kernel can't find this it panics. When
32 the init process dies the kernel dies.
33 I did not say that this /sbin/init has to perform some actual function
34 like the SysV init does, just be an infinit loop. Also it does not have
35 to be a binary but the an interpreter would be needed.
36 I once set up a firewall this way. The /sbin/init just configured
37 iptables and put the log messages out to console. Nice one floppy
38 firewall on a diskless 486.
39
40 > > Even though I argue for compatibility, I still think it is correct to
41 > > not ship XFree86. Mostly because Gentoo would and the OSS world would be
42 > > far better of with a more "geekish" and open development of the X11
43 > > implementation.
44 >
45 > Gentoo is not going to stop shipping XFree86, as that would be asinine.
46 > Rather we are simply not adding the NEW OFFENDING versions to portage.
47 > There is a dramatic difference between the two.
48
49 True
50
51 -John