From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] base.eclass
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:03:43
1 On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 19:49:25 +0200
4 > René Neumann <lists@××××××.eu> wrote:
5 >> I'd like just to receive a short clarification about the 'status' of
6 >> base.eclass: Is this eclass expected to be available everywhere, i.e.
7 >> should each eclass make sure it imports and incorporates it. Or is it
8 >> just an eclass like the others and ebuilds should make sure they
9 >> inherit it if needed?
10 >
11 > base.eclass is a historical mistake, from before the design of eclasses
12 > was fully figured out and moved into the package manager. Unfortunately,
13 > rather than letting it die, people keep putting things in it and using
14 > it...
15
16 I think it would be a good idea to remove the second sentence of the
17 description, which is clearly false.
20 # The base eclass defines some default functions and variables. Nearly
21 # everything else inherits from here.