From: "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo install methods
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 08:58:44
1 Jan Henkins wrote:
2 > Just a thought (I'm sure you were posed this question before...), how
3 > about making a set of source CD's available that can be accessed by
4 > portage as an alternative source of software?
5
6 Portage already has the functionality to do this. The biggest issue with
7 actually doing it is that Gentoo is a moving target. We could make CD with
8 the source images, but as soon as we update the portage tree for a new
9 version of an ebuild, the CD is no longer completely valid.
10
11 Here are the step to roll your own:
12 Grab a snapshot of the portage tree (just the ebuilds). I believe daily
13 snapshots are available on ibiblio now. The next part is hardest, because
14 I don't think anyone has scripted it yet. You need to go through each
15 ebuild (either all of them or just those that you want) and grab the
16 corresponding tarball from the distfiles directory and burn them to a CD
17 (in all it should be 1GB or smaller (2 CD's at most).
18
19 Once you have a Gentoo ISO, the portage tree, and all those packages, you
20 can unpack the build tarball per the instructions, unpack the portage tree
21 to /usr/portage, and then either mount the CD to /usr/portage/distfiles (if
22 there is 1 CD) or copy the contents of the CD's' with packages to
23 /usr/portage/distfiles.
24
25 Make sure you don't do emerge sync to synch your portage tree, or you will
26 have to hit the network. Once you have your system setup like you want it,
27 then you can do 'emerge sync' and upgrade as you like over the network.
31 Chad Huneycutt try { Windows }
32 Ph.D. Student catch ( Exception BSOD )
33 Georgia Tech College of Computing { linux };
34 http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~chadh