From: flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?Q?Petten=C3=B2?=)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] One request for the next SoC: non already-devs students
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 15:47:53
1 I know this is going to stir up quite some discussion, but I do think
2 it's worth trying requesting it at least.
3
4 In the past two years we had quite a few applications from students that
5 were already full-fledged Gentoo developers. I sincerely would like that
6 this year we put as a rule that Gentoo developers cannot partecipate in
7 Summer of Code as students for Gentoo.
8
9 I'm not asking to penalise Gentoo developers are students. But I
10 sincerely think the main goal of Summer of Code is to allow new people
11 to enter the scene of Free Software, to understand how Free Software
12 projects work and so on. Gentoo Developers are already pretty well
13 "inside" this world.
14
15 I think it should be a self-made decision to abstain from applying as a
16 student for what you already partecipate in, but as such concerns don't
17 seem to be widespread (at least as the last two years shown), I'm asking
18 for a formal decision to all the developers. If that is requested, I'm
19 even willing to bring this in front of the council.
20
21 Gentoo's ranks are quite reduced nowadays, and a few persons have shown
22 conerns about our current recruiting methods being able to judge clearly
23 technical and social skills, as well as the time one is ready to pour
24 into the project. I think SoC could be used as a pretty good recruiting
25 method: as you are going to work quite a bit with the student, you can
26 easily judge availability and technical and social skills. Leaving SoC
27 applications open to developers means wasting this opportunity.
28
29 There are many other organisations partecipating, I think it would be
30 quite feasible for Gentoo developers wanting to be a student SoC to
31 choose another one, in which they are not involved already. Yes it's
32 easier for them to do something for Gentoo as they are already
33 contributing, but that is not the point of Summer of Code, the point is
34 to introduce new people into projects, not giving money to people to do
35 what they already do.
36
37 And just to take a stance, even if this request is to be rejected, I'm
38 not going to mentor a student that is already a Gentoo developer, for
39 sure.
40
41 So to be clear, I'm not trying to look down to anybody, I don't even
42 want to stop people from being paid for their work. I just wish that we
43 can focus this opportunity to improve the Gentoo project as a whole.
46 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
47 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/