From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Build Doc Error
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 05:05:30
1 On 15 Jun 2002 10:06:28 -0400
2 "orange-pc.ces.clemson.edu" <grant@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Finally, I would like to clear up a common misconception. Gentoo Linux
4 > is, indeed, "geared towards Linux power users". My personal opinion,
5 > though, is that
6 > it is unrealistic to expect even power users to understand
7 > everything that goes into a Linux distribution, so saying that Gentoo
8 > is "a distro for people who KNOW what they're doing" seems like
9 > a bit much. (In fact, many people seem to come to Gentoo precisely
10 > so that they can learn more about Linux without the drudgery required
11
12 well said g2boojum.
13
14 We do try to make things easier for the users, but linux
15 is a rapidly changing operating system and has an infinite number of
16 configuration options. Not all of us _know_ what we are doing, we just
17 sit down and try to solve the problem. We don't have to wait for Microsoft and
18 a patch -- we create our own. Gentoo Linux has many developers, including all
19 the users that submit bug reports, and all the users that submit new ebuilds, and
20 all those that submit patches. We are in-debt to all of those individuals, because
21 they do exactly what we do: debug the problems and add features/ideas to better
22 the operating system.
23
24 Just my opinion.
25