From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-info.eclass: check_extra_config requires a configured kernel
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 15:12:26
1 On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > It is good that we warn users about this when they install the package,
4 > but I don't think the ebuild should die.
5
6 I've always found ebuilds dying at kernel config checks really annoying.
7 Checking kernel features at build time (if we die) is broken and
8 should be banned IMO:
9
10 1) in case of packages not needing kernel headers for building (but
11 just checking for a feature)
12 a) this breaks the compilation inside chroots on build servers where
13 the goal is to just build the package (hint: binpkgs)
14 b) it is anyway unable to reliably check if the feature is actually
15 available or not (/proc/config.gz might be unavailable, as well as
16 kernel sources or headers)
17
18 2) in case of packages needing kernel headers (or sources) for building
19 a) doing the check in pkg_setup() breaks binpkgs support (the check
20 becomes part of a build time task, and not install time)
21
22 I'm sure there are other reasons as well...
25 Fabio Erculiani
26 http://lxnay.com