From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Time based retirements
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:50:50
1 On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 21:30 -0800, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > On 12/20/12 7:21 PM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
3 > > I'm curious who had the brain dead idea to retire Gentoo developers
4 > > that are still interested in the distro, that maintain low activity
5 > > packages for herds that are stretched way too thin, and are still
6 > > contributing to the distro in many ways other than direct CVS commits
7 > > (e.g. overlays, user support, providing hardware to other devs, etc).
8 >
9 > Dough, thank you for rising the issue.
10 >
11 > I'm receiving the undertakers@ e-mail, so I have a pretty good view of
12 > what's happening.
13 >
14 > I have several suggestions how we can improve things:
15 >
16 > 1. 3 months is too short period anyway.
17 >
18 > 2. Think through what the goals are. We do not want to retire as many
19 > people as possible. We do not want to frustrate people who do contribute
20 > to Gentoo. We do not want to discourage people who consider becoming new
21 > developers. At least I don't.
22 >
23 > 3. I think what's important is to keep packages maintained. I consider
24 > maintainership to be a duty, not a privilege. If someone is listed in
25 > metadata.xml, but is not really maintaining the package, that creates a
26 > formal illusion that the package is maintained, and may prevent other
27 > people from stepping up and taking maintenance of that package.
28 >
29 > 4. I suggest that we focus on the above: keeping packages maintained.
30 > Taking packages out of hands of inactive/overworked maintainers is good.
31 > They can always become _more_ active, which is easier if they retain cvs
32 > access. If they make a single commit every 3-6 months, I'm fine with
33 > that as long as things are maintained properly.
34 >
35 > 5. Remember that cvs/bugzilla activity is not the only way of
36 > contributing. It's probably most tanglible and very needed, but let's
37 > not reduce real people and their real world situations, and their effort
38 > to contribute to just dates and numbers.
39 >
40 > Paweł
44 +1
45
46 Even though I am a relatively new developer, I too got an email
47 stating my inactivity (not from undertakers@). My main purpose for
48 becoming a dev was not for ebuild work, but more for coding. Three
49 months is way too short to be making that type of list.
50
51 For all those young devs out there still in college/university. You
52 will find that time accelerates as you age. 3 months may seem a long
53 time for you now, but give it another 5-10 years and you'll discover
54 that 3 months can go by quite quickly. Especially with a family (wife,
55 kids, pets) and a full time job.
58 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>