From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: lv@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-headers-2.6* now linux26-headers
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:39:41
1 On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 02:58, Travis Tilley wrote:
2 > just a heads up - i've moved all the 2.6 header packages to
3 > sys-kernel/linux26-headers so that they can be keyworded without having them
4 > accidentally install on the system of a 2.4 kernel user. hopefully soon this
5 > will mean we can unmask the newer glibc ebuilds on x86, which have a dep on
6 > the 2.6 headers when using nptl (instead of using /usr/src/linux, which is
7 > problematic at best and quite often broken at worst).
10 I and Solar is working on getting bootstrap-2.6.sh (or maby an
11 merged version) ready to work seemlessly with linux26-headers.
12 Hopefully in the next two weeks if testing are going as planned.
13
14 > another note re: NPTL is that nptl no longer has a version number of it's own
15 > as of 2004-06-29. i'm guessing this means that ulrich drepper considers nptl
16 > to be fairly stable, but i dont think i'll be so quick to put words in his
17 > mouth. when i'm sure that everything's good and calm with the linux26-headers
18 > change i'll poke at making a new snapshot to see if it passes "make check"
19 > yet. :)
20
21 I do not know about non-x86 arches, but I make sure 'make check' pass
22 for NPTL as well as run it for a day or two before commit.
23
24 I think the biggest problem with getting it into stable previously
25 (and for the next few weeks), is the headers issue - we could not
26 just unmask 2.6 headers. Hopefully if 2.6.6-r1 or latest 2.6.7
27 linux26-headers test ok, and we get headway with bootstrap.sh, we
28 can really think about 'offical' NPTL support ...
31 Cheers,
35 Martin Schlemmer
36 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
37 Cape Town, South Africa