From: Christian Andreetta <satya@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:06:38
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Seemant Kulleen wrote:
5 > On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 23:50 -0400, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
6 >> My concern is beyond me. As I stated I know enough about what to expect IF I
7 >> use sunrise. But many do not and with it becoming official people figure
8 >> it's gentoo and when it breaks Gentoo suffers. Gentoo has a reputation as a
9 >> good solid, stable distro. As user and big fan of Gentoo I'm concerned - why
10 >> couldn't sunrise have stayed unoffical like BMG. Why does it have to be
11 >> official? Gentoo can choose to do what it feels is right and I will do the
12 >> same.
13
14 It has just to be put clear that in this case "official" doesn't mean
15 "solid", "right", "tested by our best QA", but simply "preferred". That
16 is, I think we're not speaking of "official", but "_basically_ revised"
17 and "encouraged".
18
19 Many users (and I'm both a dev *and* a user) just could do much for
20 Gentoo, but when you're interested in a niche sector package, you *don't
21 have other choices* but
22
23 1) an endless wait for an open bug
24 2) becoming dev for the good of all :-)
25 3) just use your personal overlay, without sharing the results of your
26 efforts. If the bug in 1) is still open, why updating it with your
27 latest patches/revision bumps?
28
29 Statistically you end up to 3). We just need something to reduce this
30 "statistically".
31
32 > BMG has, from day 1, been marginalised in the Gentoo community. I
33 > always fancied that they should've been folded into the larger Gentoo
34 > projects and become what Sunrise is today. The way I read you, your
35 > fear is based on the possibility of some future perception by an unknown
36 > number of people. Sunrise's idea is that stuff gets checked and
37 > re-checked and remains accessible -- have you read through their site
38 > and their commit histories and changesets? They're not exactly
39 > dawdling.
40 >
41 > As for Gentoo's reputation, I'm actually pleasantly surprised to hear it
42 > characterised that way :) If it has that reputation, then it will
43 > actually take a lot to break that. I'm surprised that ~keywords didn't
44 > already break it. I agree that the official portage tree is a QA
45 > nightmare. Sunrise seems to be nipping that nightmare for a future date
46 > -- ie by allowing people to commit and perform peer reviews, they're
47 > grooming the next generation of developers to look at QA from the
48 > outset, instead of as an afterthought.
49
50 I'm just adding another good point to sunrise (or whatever will be a
51 revised "preferred centralized repo of packages not officially
52 supported"): you have another way to benefit of retired devs who just
53 don't have the time to be responsible for the bugs of a package in an
54 arch they don't know, but have the interest and the competence to add
55 packages to an unofficial overlay.
56
57 I'll be soon one of those devs: maybe some of the packages I maintain
58 will finish as "maintainer-wanted". And, in this case, they could
59 eventually end up in the sunrise overlay: a way for the users to help users.
62 Just my 2 euro c
71 --
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list