From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Who runs Gentoo was -> RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 14:00:57
1 OT, who runs Gentoo
2
3 On Saturday, December 3, 2016 12:21:55 AM EST Daniel Campbell wrote:
4 >
5 > Unless something's changed in the past year or two, iirc Sony uses
6 > Gentoo as part of the backend of Gaikai, Google's used it for the base
7 > of ChromeOS...
8
9 Also is the base of CoreOS, widely popular. Google uses it in more than
10 ChromOS it was used in the OnHub router. I suspect Google has wider uses.
11
12 Google has hired a few core developers as has Gaikai. Both seem to be good,
13 though not sure Google is giving back as much given their financial benefit.
14 Gaikai isn't selling an OS, but Google is based on Gentoo...
15
16 > I can't speak for other 'big names', but Gentoo's not
17 > quite as niche as the small, active userbase has most of us believing.
18
19 FYI Network Solutions, which I believe at a time had a root DNS server running
20 Gentoo. Due to their parent company Web.com is, or has by now, moving from
21 Gentoo to RHEL. I was told they do not want to be in the operating system
22 development business.
23
24 Meetup.com runs Gentoo, not sure how widely but it is in use. Likely more out
25 there, but I see far more RHEL and CentOS. I do not even discuss Gentoo, as I
26 have to many say it can't be used in production, etc. Things I disagree with.
27
28 > There's also our downstream neighbors: Funtoo, Pentoo, Sabayon,
29 > Calculate, Exherbo, etc
30
31 Two of those are more of a splinter of the Gentoo community, Exherbo and
32 Funtoo. IMHO those communities should be reunited into Gentoo. Allot of talent
33 got driven way that is still out there working on other stuff.
34
35 > As for communities, lots of places from 4chan to lainchan, various mesh
36 > network users, security-conscious communities, OCD support groups
37 > (kidding), etc.
38
39 My concern is lack of any mention in the news or tech articles. When was the
40 last time Gentoo was making headlines and not for drama related stuff.
41
42 Gentoo News articles
43 https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=gentoo+linux
44
45 Arch News articles for example, other distros Ubuntu and Debian have allot
46 https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=arch+linux
47
48 Not my words but like say Infoworld articles, not that they are any authority
49
50 http://www.infoworld.com/article/3109830/linux/why-did-gentoo-linux-fade-into-obscurity.html
51
52 http://www.infoworld.com/article/3137969/linux/arch-linux-the-last-refuge-for-purists.html