From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: kentfredric@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 15:39:37
1 On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 03:25:43 +1200
2 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 2 June 2012 03:12, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> "git cat-file -p $sha" is as close as you can get to commit objects
6 > >> without needing to write your own decompressing wrapper.  But it
7 > >> gives the same results.
8 > >
9 > > Now, does the "signed data" also contain the parent sha?
10 > >
11 > > If yes, our discussion about rebasing is moot, because a rebase
12 > > will in every case destroy previous signatures.
15 > Yes. Which basically means, you *cannot* have both
16 >
17 > a) rebase only merges
18 > and
19 > b) every commit must be signed
20 >
21 > as policies.
22 >
23 > At very best, I think either
24 > a) a future git might support signed rebases ( ie: replacing existing
25 > signatures with new signatures in the name of the person performing
26 > the rebase )
27 > or
28 > b) somebody could write a wrapper that provides signed-rebase support
29 > until git get around to implementing it natively.
30 >
31 > and even then, you're going to lose original signing info ( Though,
32 > thats no worse than the signer of the manifest file changing every
33 > sign )
34
35 Yes, it's no worse so we're practically considering implementing a very
36 complex mechanism for no real benefit.
37
38 As I see it, as good would be only requiring some kind of 'top-level'
39 commits to be signed. For example, if one does merge a branch
40 to the tree, a signed merge commit should already be good enough for
41 us. Not sure if git is able to do that, however...
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny