From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Installer (2) [LARGE]
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 20:22:51
1 It is also worth keeping in mind that expert/poweruser does not mandate
2 always using command line, manual, prone to human error methods. GUI's
3 can be very fast and efficient at certain tasks, and anything that can
4 help produce a quick, clean and efficient install (which arguably gentoo
5 isnt) can only be of benefit.
6
7 Actually, I would rather that the gentoo install be cleaned up instead
8 of going the anaconda route. e.g., why is mkdir neccessary for
9 /mnt/gentoo? The chroot method works, but surely some clever scripting
10 can improve this so the user doesnt have to keep switching around.
11 i.e., automate the whole process - BUT - allow manuel intervention/input
12 at any stage - this is the bit anaconda, and Mandrake make harder than
13 should be neccessary.
14
15 I do suspect that no one system will suit all (which is why there each
16 distro is different!), but I think the gentoo method can be improved and
17 made into a real poweruser install - commandline, flexible and above
18 all, helpful to the user. Its well on the way.
19
20 The above is a bit of a ramble I admit, but having installed two gentoo
21 systems (and about to start a third) as well as a number of RH and
22 Mandrake, I can say it is a bit painful, particularly if you make a typo
23 (e.g., get the grub boot partition wrong!) or switch screens so you
24 cannot pageup and see what network card was detected etc).
25
26 Billk