From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Changes coming to libmysqlclient.so providers
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:31:10
1 My fellow developers,
2
3 I've previously asked that packages which link to libmysqlclient.so be
4 moved to virtual/libmysqlclient as a {,R}DEPEND. There are some which
5 have done so but many have not.
6
7 There are major changes coming with MariaDB 10.2 and MySQL 5.7 so either
8 the devs will have to do it or users will have to rely on either
9 revdep-rebuild or @preserved-rebuild.
10
11 MySQL 5.7 is moving to libmysqlclient.so.20 and MariaDB is providing
12 libmariadbclient.so (LGPL).
13
14 For packages that still depend on virtual/mysql but really only need to
15 link to libmysqlclient.so, change to virtual/libmysqlclient:= to help
16 users with rebuilds.
17
18 A few packages, dev-db/myodbc comes to mind, will need certain slots of
19 virtual/libmysqlclient that I have yet to finalize.
20
21 In addition, some packages will break if they depend on private APIs
22 exposed in previous libmysqlclient.so's as upstreams are tightening down.
23
24 Thank you,
25
26 Brian