From: nlhowell@×××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] UTF-8 in ebuild descriptions
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 14:48:10
1 Hello all,
2
3 I'm packaging a handful of dictionaries for various languages; some
4 of them have non-ASCII names in English. Example:
5 ```
6 DESCRIPTION="Giellatekno morphological dictionaries for Apurinã."
7
8 ```
9
10 Repoman complains:
11 ```
12 variable.invalidchar [fatal] 5
13 app-dicts/giella-apu/giella-apu-9999.ebuild: DESCRIPTION variable
14 contains non-ASCII character at position 50
15 ```
16
17 A brief discussion in #gentoo-dev-help found GLEP 31:
18
19 > <tastytea> Only ASCII is permitted in code which is parsed by bash
20 > and output:
21 > <https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0031.html#ebuild-and-eclass-character-sets>.
22
23 From GLEP31:
24 > Ebuild and Eclass Character Sets
25 >
26 > For the same reasons as previously, it is proposed that UTF-8 is
27 > used as the official encoding for ebuild and eclass files.
28 >
29 > However, developers should be warned that any code which is parsed
30 > by bash (in other words, non-comments), and any output which is
31 > echoed to the screen (for example, einfo messages) or given to
32 > portage (for example any of the standard global variables) must not
33 > use anything outside the regular ASCII 0..127 range for
34 > compatibility purposes.
35
36 What does "compatibility purposes" mean here? Non-unicode locales and
37 terminal state corruption? Other tools?
38
39 I would like the ebuild short description to refer to these languages
40 by their names, instead of by e.g. ISO-639-3 codes.
41
42 Thoughts?
43
44 Cheers,