From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:41:10
1 On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 08:11:54PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 >
3 > Yes. Our security team has currently done 141 GLSA's this year alone.
4 > 42 of which match the string overflow.
5 >
6 > Only 1 of those does not play along with -fstack-protector that I'm
7 > aware of and that's being worked on currently.
10 Maybe it would be a good idea to add additional info in the GLSA
11 about the vulunerability if you use "-fstack-protector".
12 (Sorry if that's already the case but i can't remember seeing
13 it)
14
15 Ofcourse this can be dangerous because lazy people stop updating
16 the software because they feel safe which is totaly wrong.
17
18 Maybe some very carefull neutral hint would help.
19
20 I would use such information to decide if i should go and fix
21 something at 3am or go to bed and fix it 6h later after i wake
22 up.
23
24 The main goal would be some advertisement for -fstack-protector.
25
26 Just an idea. I'm not even sure if i like it myself :)
29 Christian
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list