From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE_EXPAND and IUSE
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:12:53
1 On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 07:48:27PM +0300, Alin Nastac wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 >
4 > >So there have been many complaints about how USE_EXPANDed flags don't belong
5 > >in IUSE. There haven't actually been any reasons given though. :P
6 > net-dialup/pppconfig-2.3.11-r1 depends on LINGUAS, but the list of
7 > supported languages is created in pkg_unpack, based on what tarball
8 > contains.
9 >
10 > The IUSE thing would raise 2 problems:
11 > - lower maintainability - not really a major problem
12 > - if user wants all languages, it will be forced to select them one by
13 > one - now if LINGUAS is empty, all available languages gets installed.
14
15 We're talking about USE_EXPANDed USE flags. The LINGUAS variable will
16 still exist and the way you use LINGUAS in net-dialup/pppconfig doesn't
17 involve USE flags. So you don't need to add them to IUSE. We currently
18 don't have a policy that enforces the use of the expanded linguas_* USE
19 flags instead of directly using the LINGUAS variable. Maybe we should
20 first decide, if it's OK to use LINGUAS directly. If not, we need to
21 modify the packages, which is tricky for packages like pppconfig that
22 take the list of available languages from the tarball.
23
24 IMHO using the linguas_* USE flags makes better binary packages because
25 the USE flags are handled by portage and shown on emerge -pv output.
26 Portage will merge the binary package using the compiled USE flags and
27 will not react on current USE settings. Same is for LINGUAS, but using
28 the USE flags the user knows on emerge -pv with which language support
29 the package was compiled.
30
31 Sven
34 Sven Wegener