From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-dev vs lkml?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:21:45
1 On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 13:33 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > Also part of the "maturity" point. Perhaps we all just need to grow up? ;)
3
4 I do think we have a significantly lower average age than the Linux
5 Kernel developer group. This probably plays a significant role in how
6 things go on around here.
7
8 > This is an important point that I hadn't considered. It kind of resembles
9 > the affect of bad press coverage you mentioned earlier. I'm not sure that
10 > there's much that can be done about it though - at least not in the short
11 > term.
12
13 I think some gentle prodding by non-proctors (I know I'll be doing this)
14 for people to keep on-topic might help. I'm sure it won't prevent every
15 flame from starting, but it might help some, and at this point, we need
16 all the help that we can get.
17
18 > Perhaps a code of conduct should be created that discusses how one should
19 > behave rather than how one should not. Taking cues from member of LKML that
20 > show maturity as well as other communities that do well, it could cover what
21 > is expected in the situations where we are failing and extended as needed.
22
23 We actually have revised the code to read differently. You should check
24 it out at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/coc.xml to see how it
25 has changed. Also, we are planning on reviewing it again prior to the
26 next meeting. I suggest that people take suggestions/comments on the
27 current incarnation on the gentoo-council mailing list, where it
28 belongs.
29
30 > What do you think?
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
35 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
36 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
37 Gentoo Foundation