From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating EAPI0
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:40:03
1 On Saturday 21 March 2009 19:37:12 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > with the discussion about EAPI3 we have now 4 (or 7, depending on how you
5 > count them ;) ) EAPIs available or almost available. This is getting quite
6 > confusing.
7 > To make our lives easier I would suggest deprecating EAPI0 and migrating
8 > existing ebuilds over some time to EAPI1 or higher until EAPI0 can be
9 > obsoleted at some point in the future.
10 > I would set the start of deprecation warnings about 3 months from now and
11 > the obsoletion quite a time later, maybe 12 months from now, when a
12 > sufficient amount of ebuilds has been migrated.
13 >
14 > Deprecating EAPI1 at the same time would reduce the amount of EAPIs we have
15 > to think about, but since it has some changes like adding src_prepare
16 > migration would not be as trivial. So I'd prefer keeping it around a bit
17 > longer.
18 >
19 > Comments?
22 > Patrick
23 The gain obtained by this migration doesnt compensate for the efford/work one
24 (we) must put into this. But if we decide to mark EAPI0 as deprecated, first it
25 would be nice to have a tree cleanup cause it doesn't make much sense to
26 migrate broken/unmaintained/old/etc ebuilds onto newer EAPIs.
29 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
30 Gentoo Linux Developer
31 KDE/Qt/Sunrise/Sound
32 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.gr