From: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
To: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: koutput/config-kernel should *NOT* be used/supported currently.
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:09:28
1 On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 03:40:42PM +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Hi Peter,
3 >
4 > Peter Johanson wrote:
5 > >Hey all,
6 > >As a result, the kmod.eclass, and config-kernel have several problems,
7 > >and are only 1/2 implemented anyway. Sooo, don't use kmod.eclass. Just
8 > >don't. config-kernel i will be package.masking as well soon.
9 >
10 > In that case, how should ebuilds go about building/installing external 2.6
11 > modules for now? Any "model" ebuilds you can point me at?
12
13 As of 2.6.6, a new parameter "M=" was added, to take the place of using
14 SUBDIRS= when invoking the kernel build system outside of the kernel.
15 This, combined with some other kernel build fixes, meant that the kernel
16 build system wouldn't have to write to things all over the
17 /usr/src/linux tree when compiling external modules.
18
19 Most of the time, this means a simple sed to do s:SUBDIRS=:M=: on a
20 makefile or two is sufficient. This doesn't account for any older
21 kernels, but at this point, older 2.6 kernels have quite a few security
22 vulnerabilities ,and should be upgraded anyway.
23
24 For example ebuilds, check out the new hostap-driver or ipw2100 ebuilds,
25 that do the above technique. Feel free to email me in private or catch
26 me on IRC if you want help with any particular ebuilds.
27
28 -pete
31 > Thanks,
32 >