From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Change policy about live ebuilds
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:06:41
1 On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:00:03PM -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:11:53 +0000
3 > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Users interpret this as a 'double masking' which in fact it is since
6 > > they need to touch two files before they are able to use the package.
7 >
8 > Isn't that the point? People should be discouraged in every way not to use
9 > live ebuilds. I'd add a third if we had one. :)
10 >
11 > But yes, if I had to pick only one I'd go with dropping keywords over
12 > package.mask. In fact it looks like I have some live ebuilds in the tree
13 > that do exactly that.
14 >
15 Actually not. Users are already familiar with the -9999 concept so there
16 is no point to add extra obstacles in their way. I am trying to find out
17 corner cases where double masking makes sense. Otherwise it makes no
18 sense to me. Actually the majority of users get confused when a package
19 is double masked. Just drop by forums etc and you will see :)
22 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
23 Gentoo Linux Developer
24 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org
25 Key ID: 441AC410
26 Key FP: AAD0 8591 E3CD 445D 6411 3477 F7F7 1E8E 441A C410