From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Future EAPI version operator changes
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 21:01:40
1 On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 22:47:24 +0200
2 Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 6 November 2016 at 12:52, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Hi, everyone.
6 >
7 > <snip>
8 >
9 > > So, what are your comments?
10 >
11 > Hi,
12 >
13 > Just my 2 cents...
14 > I kinda love the prefix nature of the expressions which is consistent
15 > and easier to parse.
16 > Using infix only for versions and leaving all the rest prefix will
17 > create abnormality.
18 >
19 > Regards,
20 > Alon
23 But the main problem with it is that most upstream requirements.txt,
24 etc.,... all use the infix method. And I hate to say it, but more and
25 more so-called "package management" systems (mostly language specific
26 ones) all use that method. So transitioning to that, should make
27 package maintenance easier. Possibly even have some automation tools
28 to check them during version bumps, etc...
31 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>