From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev implementation
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:49:10
1 On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:43:13AM +0200, Christian Birchinger wrote:
2 > You're totaly right. udev is really not usable yet. I was happy
3 > when i first saw the planed features. But once i got the
4 > FAQ/Docs i was really disapointed. And this disapointment
5 > increased after i downloaded the tarball.
6 >
7 > I highly suggest not moving to udev yet. Even if devfs is marked
8 > obsolete in kernel it's far better than udev which is in alpha
9 > state. Ofcourse one day we will ne forced to adopt udev so it's
10 > not a bad idea to check it out etc. but please don't switch to
11 > it now. It's really not ready and causes far more problems than
12 > devfs.
15 As far as I know, there are currently no plans to move to udev as
16 default for a while.
17
18 We do, however, have to have support for it, especially for archs like
19 AMD64 - 2.4.23-pre* removes devfs for AMD64 due to bugs.
20
21 I, personally, think udev sucks and will really miss devfs.
24 Jon Portnoy
25 avenj/irc.freenode.net
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list