From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: cardoe@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk3 useflag and support of older toolkits
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 09:27:32
1 On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 22:49:30 -0500
2 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 14:40:50 +0100
7 > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:33:47 +0200
10 > >> Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
11 > >> > Well the problem is simple, we need to ship webkit with gtk2 and
12 > >> > gtk3 support. This is needed because gentoo has gtk2 based
13 > >> > desktop/apps and because we want to ship gnome3 for example.
14 > >> >
15 > >> > Cool thing is that webkit supports being built with each toolkit
16 > >> > without conflicting with the build from the other toolkit hence
17 > >> > we ended up using SLOTS.
18 > >>
19 > >> You could just have gtk2 and gtk3 use flags in the ebuild, use
20 > >> REQUIRED_USE to ensure that at least one is enabled, and build
21 > >> things twice in the ebuild if necessary.
22 > >
23 > > Ah, so because a few paludis users may be building an additional
24 > > variant of webkit-gtk unnecessarily, we should force all Gentoo
25 > > users to randomly rebuild 1-2 variants depending on how soon
26 > > they're going to get the USE correctly.
29 > Let's all agree that the current solution is less than ideal and could
30 > use improvement. I have several Gentoo & Portage only desktops and I
31 > find myself annoyed with webkit-gtk and its revisions and rebuilds.
32
33 Any other solution would involve the same rebuilds...
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny