From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large files still in files/
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:05:39
1 On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:54:20 -0500 Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Azarah wrote:[Mon Mar 07 2005, 11:57:04AM EST]
4 | > Also the problem is that especially if you have a rapid changing
5 | > package, where the patches changes a lot, putting it in distfiles is
6 | > a pita, as you have to scp it, then wait an hour to 3 depending on
7 | > how lucky you are, and then only commit.
8 |
9 | I know this has been covered before, but what is the problem with
10 | putting files on dev.gentoo.org? The automatic scripts should suck it
11 | into distfiles and portage should check mirrors before "upstream" (in
12 | this case dgo) first, so I'd think the load on dgo shouldn't be
13 | significant.
14
15 Infra have politely (where by politely I mean "with threats of
16 decapitation and feeding to the goats") asked us not to do this because
17 of reliability and load issues. I'd say that they probably know best...
20 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
21 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
22 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm