From: Duncan Coutts <dcoutts@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:44:51
1 On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 18:55 +0000, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On 23/03/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 16:40 +0000, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
4 > > > If the software a user wants is in an overlay, then the user will be
5 > > > forced to install the overlay.
6 > >
7 > > It shouldn't be in the overlay, is I think the point many are trying to
8 > > make. If the software is good enough for any of our users, it should be
9 > > good enough for the tree.
10 >
11 > I agree. I would ask, what are the advantages of overlays that
12 > developers find so compelling that they use them rather than the
13 > portage tree? Would it not be a better idea to find a way to bring
14 > those advantages to the tree, rather the proliferation of overlays we
15 > are seeing?
16
17 The advantages we see are:
18
19 We use it as a staging area for our herd's ebuilds. We can start with an
20 untested ebuild and between several team members and outside testers we
21 can iteratively test and refine the ebuild. This relies on a low latency
22 between committing changes and other devs and outside testers receiving
23 those changes. We have a lag of several seconds rather than 30 minutes
24 for the anoncvs. It means we get much higher QA before ebuilds actually
25 end up in portage because by the time they get there they have been
26 reviewed and tested by other team members and outside helpers (often
27 including testing on several arches).
28
29 If we did this in the cvs tree we'd need to keep the packages masked all
30 the time we were improving them (overhead). We'd need changelog entries
31 for every change (overhead). We wouldn't be able to share the
32 development and testing with our outside helpers (due to anoncvs lag).
33 And of course we wouldn't be able to grant out outside helpers write
34 access.
35
36 So the lower latency helps to run an AT-style system and the write
37 access allows for a safe intermediate stage in the recruitment process
38 between AT and dev status.
41 Duncan Coutts : Gentoo Developer (Haskell herd team lead)
42 email : dcoutts at gentoo dot org
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list