From: David Shakaryan <omp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Forbid using versions in DESCRIPTION
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:15:41
1 Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > As far as I understood it, having DESCRIPTION in the ebuild itself
3 > (rather than in metadata) means that DESCRIPTION is allowed to change
4 > between versions, whether "automatically" by using a version-dependent
5 > variable or "manually".
6
7 Well, from what I understand, DESCRIPTION should generally stay the same
8 between different versions of the same package. While two versions of
9 the same package may have some slight differences, the general purpose
10 of the package should remain the same, and DESCRIPTION is after all just
11 a short general description. I don't see any/enough exceptions to
12 warrant all the duplication and unnecessary complexity.
15 David Shakaryan
16 --
17 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list