From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:16:48
Petteri Räty wrote:
> On 01/24/2010 08:20 PM, Ben de Groot wrote: > >> 2010/1/24 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o>: >> >>> On 01/24/2010 03:02 PM, Ben de Groot wrote: >>> >>>> You can't have functioning package management without the hard >>>> dependencies it requires. So both portage and python should be in the >>>> system set. >>>> >>> Why should we keep redundant information in the list? >>> >> How is that redundant? >> >> Cheers, >> > > The problem the original poster wanted to solve is having a warning when > trying to unmerge something in "system". The best way here is to file a > Portage enhancement request and not pollute the profile system set > marking. The purpose of the packages file is to describe what needs to > be installed for a minimal system to work so it doesn't make sense to > pollute it with implementation details. > > Regards, > Petteri > >
Since unmerging python results in a broken system, I'm not sure how this "pollutes" anything. The system set is to maintain a working and bootable system that can install packages and portage requires python to work. What good is a Gentoo system without a working package manager? Is there something that I am missing here? For me, system should include the things needed for booting and for the package manager to work. If it can't contain python then portage has a problem. As I pointed out in another reply, portage won't let you unmerge itself but it will let you unmerge a package that will render portage useless. If I can unmerge python then portage should just go ahead and let me unmerge portage itself too. At least it is easier to repair removing portage. Dale :-) :-)

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster Jacob Godserv <jacobgodserv@×××××.com>
Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>