From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Round 2: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:12:19
1 On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:37:50AM -0500 or thereabouts, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > I still like the idea of separate rsync branches.
3 >
4 > gentoo-2004.0-stable and gentoo-2004.0-updates, both taken via rsync
5 > with -stable being static per release and -updates being dynamic and an
6 > overlay to ensure it always overrides the -stable unless a user emerges
7 > a =cat/ver combo from stable.
8
9 So if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting having a total of 8
10 rsync branches:
11
12 gentoo-2004.0-stable
13 gentoo-2004.0-updates
14 gentoo-2004.1-stable
15 gentoo-2004.1-updates
16 ...
17 gentoo-2004.3-updates
18
19 Is that correct?
20
21 If so, I like the idea in theory, but how do you make sure security fixes
22 get into all the appropriate trees? I can see a huge QA nightmare with
23 devs forgetting to include some critical security fix in the older trees.
24
25 Then there's the whole issue of dependencies of security updates that I
26 mentioned in my reply to danarmak. That would still be a problem here.
27
28 We could write a whole crapload of logic into repoman so it could help with
29 this, but that's a lot more invasive than I had planned on this GLEP being.
30
31 That said, I do like the idea if you can help me understand how it's
32 manageable without being overly cumbersome to implement.
33
34 > Dual portage trees requires no portage changes as portage supports
35 > multiple overlays now.
36
37 OK, good to know. I wasn't sure if this was fully functional yet. That
38 said, is it easy to use? Can I type "emerge sync --updates-overlay" or
39 something similar? If we're expecting users to use rsync directly, then I
40 think that's probably unrealistic.
41
42 --kurt