From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Review: news item and script for CPU_FLAGS_X86
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 22:27:26
1 On 01/23/2015 05:07 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 >> Even `wget --no-check-certificate` would be a big improvement.
4 >
5 > ...because?
8 You rule out some 13-year-olds in coffee shops as attackers. I
9 overstated -- since the user isn't replying with any data, it's not a
10 big improvement, but it's still a little better.
14 >> No, but the error says to set it, not export it =)
15 >
16 > Thanks, mr troll. REALLY HELPFUL.
19 Ok it looks stupid, but I was serious. I source my make.conf in
20 ~/.bashrc, so I have PORTDIR and friends set in my shell. I have PORTDIR
21 set, and the thing is telling me to set PORTDIR? It took me a moment to
22 realize what was wrong. It will certainly stump others.
23
24 If what you really want them to do is prepend PORTDIR="..." before the
25 wget command, then why give them the wget command without it? Or if the
26 environment variable needs to be set and then exported, why not just say
27 that? The news items go out to tens of thousands of people so the more
28 explicit the instructions are, the better. Because then people won't bug
29 you about all the ways in which they misinterpreted the instructions.