From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 17:03:46
1 On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:11:40PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > Indeed, the fact that sys-apps/sysvinit installs an inittab that
3 > references /sbin/openrc without depending on sys-apps/openrc already
4 > looks very wrong to me.
5
6 Correct, that's what I have been thinking about.
7
8 > Perhaps OpenRC should install its own inittab when USE=sysv-utils is
9 > set, and when it blocks installation of sys-apps/sysvinit? In any case,
10 > it's obvious that there's a pre-existing mess to be dealt with here and
11 > that things aren't as clear-cut as I thought.
12
13 OpenRC has never installed an inittab because it is init-system
14 agnostic. It has one under /usr/share/openrc/support/sysvinit, but also
15 there is a README there that explains why it isn't installed.
16
17 If you use pure openrc (without sysvinit) you can rm /etc/inittab and be
18 fine.
19
20 William