From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New Team Structure
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:30:09
1 Hi All,
2
3 The dev-wiki has been updated to reflect our new team structure (many thanks to
4 Thread!). I haven't really gotten much response about who wants to be on what
5 team; if you're a developer, you *need* to get this info to me or I'll pick a
6 team for you. Also, we have lots of team leader positions open. I hope my last
7 email didn't scare anyone from becoming a team leader; to compensate, here are
8 some of the good things about being a team leader:
9
10 - you'll have the ability to shape a complete section of the Gentoo Linux
11 distro.
12
13 - you'll have a team of developers at your command.
14
15 - you'll be interacting with me and Achim directly; if you're not a team
16 leader, you'll be reporting to the team leader rather than me and Achim, so
17 your contact with us will be limited.
18
19 - you will be playing a key role in making Gentoo Linux ready for prime-time,
20 and if you do a great job your efforts will not be forgotten after Gentoo
21 Linux 1.0. Any excellent team leaders will become a key part of our
22 development team. When we start generating income, that could potentially
23 translate into a full-time staff position.
24
25 - This is chance to prove yourself by helping Gentoo Linux. As you do, Achim
26 and I will gradually give you more authority. Our goal is to use the Team
27 Leader position to cultivate developers who want to rise to the "achim" and
28 "drobbins" level of Gentoo Linux expertise. This will allow us to
29 potentially put some of our Team Leaders in charge of, say, the entire x86
30 version of Gentoo Linux so that me and Achim can focus on the PowerPC and
31 other processors, as well as other Unix operating systems. Or,
32 alternatively, you may lead these new development efforts. Basically, by
33 becoming a Team Leader, you will be putting yourself in a position where you
34 can eventually manage the entire distro. We're going to spend more time
35 personally interacting with our Team Leaders and give you the resources you
36 need to gain this experience and expertise.
37
38 - Prestige. Since you will be getting involved in Gentoo Linux development in
39 a non-trivial way, you'll have something of significance to add to your
40 resume.
41
42 We have Team Leader positions open in the System, Tools, Infrastructure and and
43 Server teams. All developers please get back to me and let me know how you'd
44 like to be involved in the new team structure: You need to tell me a team name
45 you'd like to be part of and whether or not you'd like to be a team leader.
46
47 Best Regards,
50 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
51 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org