From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: James Holden <james-dated-1092338512.9ed661@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large File Support
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:57:28
1 James Holden (gentoo@×××××××××××.net) scribbled:
2 > Jason Cooper wrote:
3 > | James Holden (gentoo@×××××××××××.net) scribbled:
4 > |
5 > |>Jason Cooper wrote:
6 > |>| James Holden (gentoo@×××××××××××.net) scribbled:
7 > |>|
8 > |>|>I'm having some problems with large file support on my Sparc64
9 > Gentoo box.
10 > |>|>
11 > |>|>I have some >2GB DVD images on my box, which I copied off my other
12 > |>|>machine (running IRIX) over NFS so I know kernel support for large files
13 > |>|>is working.
14 > |>|>
15 > |>|>I'm trying to get the Debian testing DVD images using net-misc/jigdo,
16 > |>|>but when it creates the temporary image file it wimps out at 2GB,
17 > |>|>complaining about "File size limit exceeded".
18 > |>|>
19 > |>|>I've rebuilt net-misc/jigdo with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
20 > |>|>- -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE in CFLAGS, but I still
21 > get the
22 > |>|>error.
23 > |>|
24 > |>|
25 > |>| Did you check in the source to see that those flags actually change
26 > |>| something, eg fopen() calls should add the O_LARGEFILE flag...
27 > |>|
28 > |>| Do other programs work with files >2GB?
29 > |>
30 > |>Well, 'cp' worked, when I grabbed another very large (4.3GB) .iso off
31 > |>another box via NFS. 'dvdrecord' works too because I can burn them to
32 > DVD-R.
33 > |>
34 > |>Having checked the source, there's a couple of lines that reference a
35 > |>flag called O_LARGEFILE, but their meaning is a little unclear to my
36 > |>non-C++ hacker self.
37 > |>
38 > |>I'll try setting -DO_LARGEFILE and see what happens.
39 > |
40 > |
41 > | I don't think that'll work. O_LARGEFILE is typically used as a flag
42 > | within fopen(), eg:
43 > |
44 > | fd = fopen("movie.mpg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE);
45 > |
46 > | There is the very real possibility that the program doesn't have the
47 > | capability to read large files. In which case, a patch is in order.
48 > Hmmm... I just built it on IRIX from the same sources with gcc (as
49 > opposed to MIPSPro, IRIXs own cc), and it works perfectly. It leads me
50 > to think that something its linking against is the problem. Dunno what
51 > though.
52
53 try 'ldd <executable-name>' That should tell you what libraries it
54 uses. You may also want to do the same thing to the programs that can
55 read >2GB on that platform. That should give you a good idea which
56 library it may be.
57
58 Cooper.
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list