From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: Zach Welch <zwelch@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] FORK: The Time Is Now
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:02:07
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:08:55PM -0700, Zach Welch wrote:
2 > Fellow Gentooers,
3 >
4 > I am proud to announce that The Zynot Foundation was registered today
5 > as a 501.c.3 member controlled, non-profit organization in the state of
6 > Oregon. This new entity is being established to hold a fork of the
7 > Gentoo Linux distribution.
8
9 Zach, I wish you and your team the best.
10
11 I will not make any attempt to correct your account of events, even though
12 they contain numerous gross exagerations, innaccuracies, massive "spin," and
13 false insinuations that I am ripping people off, just in my initial scan of
14 what you wrote. Littered with lies, and slanderous, certainly.
15
16 Your write-up is like a "based on real events" TV movie, where there are
17 *just* enough facts to make the story believable to those who don't know any
18 better.
19
20 I will not "retaliate" by writing up a startling expose of any supposed
21 wrongdoings on your part. Because, frankly, life is too short for this kind
22 of stuff. I don't want to waste it by launching personal attacks on people.
23
24 I could easily "win" the argument by explaining in detail what really
25 happened, sharing the real facts, details, situations, conversations and
26 intentions, proving lies to be fabrications, assertions to be stories, and
27 your supposed critical analysis to be fueled solely by irrational anger.
28 But somehow I think that I'd end up "losing" by adopting your tactics.
29
30 As always, if any developer has questions about *anything* related to
31 Gentoo, including how money is spent, please feel free to ask me. Those
32 who have asked know that I answer all questions fully, and do my best to
33 help developers out with any needs they may have when I am aware of them.
34
35 Anyone who suspects that I am rich can come visit my home in Albuquerque and
36 form their own opinions. You can even take pictures and post them on the
37 Internet, as long as you take pictures of my daughter (soon to be
38 daughter*s*) too :)
39
40 As for the debate, what's to debate? I congratulate you on your new open
41 source project and wish you the best.
42
43 Best Regards,
46 Daniel Robbins
47 Chief Architect, Gentoo Linux